Alex Cate Has Landed
By John Helsley
Alex Cate has new life.
Late life, but new life.
Cate, the former Cowboys backup, has enrolled at Central Washington in hopes of seizing the starting quarterback job for his senior season.
Once a touted recruit, pulled away from LSU in what seemed like a recruiting coup, Cate never became a legitimate candidate to lead the Cowboys. In his one shot at starting, subbing for the injured Zac Robinson against Colorado last season, Cate struggled miserably, going 0-for-9 with an interception in the first half, drawing boos from the Boone Pickens Stadium crowd.
That led to a second-half switch to Brandon Weeden, a switch that carried future implications as well.
Cate announced his intention to transfer after the season and now hopes to make the most of a fresh start with the Wildcats, a Division II program, allowing him to be eligible immediately.
In an interview with the Daily Record in Ellensburg, Wash., Cate offered no ill will toward his time at OSU, instead focusing on the opportunity to work with CWU head coach Blaine Bennett, who has tutored NFL quarterbacks in Kyle Orton and Curtis Painter.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients