Six Former Pokes Open NBA Camp
By John Helsley, Staff Writer
NBA training camps are opening everywhere, some with an Oklahoma State flair.
Former Cowboys show up on the rosters of six NBA teams, with practices due to begin today.
Tony Allen maintains stability, starting his sixth season with the Boston Celtics. But for four other former Pokes, new teams offer new beginnings.
Joey Graham, who spent the past four seasons with the Toronto Raptors, moves to the Denver Nuggets.
Stephen Graham, Joey’s twin, signed on Monday with the Charlotte Bobcats – his sixth NBA team.
Desmond Mason, who spent last season locally with the Thunder, went West with a one-year deal to play with Sacramento.
David Monds, who finished at OSU in 2007 and spent last season in the NBA Developmental League, is trying to make it with the world champion Los Angeles Lakers.
And John Lucas, who played in 60 games for the Houston Rockets over two seasons from 2005-07, is trying to make it with the Miami Heat.
Allen, who has battled injuries throughout his career, is questionable for the preseason as he continues recovery from June 3 ankle surgery to repair a torn tendon.
Graham waited five months to hook on with a new team, then hustled in to join the Nuggets’ first practice. Denver is hoping he fills offense lost when Linas Kleiza signed with Olympiakos and defense lost when Dahntay Jones signed with the Pacers, according to the Denver Post.
“I like covering guys like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James,” Graham told the Post. “I’m a rough-neck guy, a blue-collar guy.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4097OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4009Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 3995Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients