Talking Dez, Defense and Dunks
By John Helsley
Did the NCAA really suspend Dez Bryant for the rest of the season? Really?
Because he lied to cover up, what exactly? No violation (that we know of). No wrongdoing. Just lied, basically because he was scared he might have done something wrong.
Curious, why did Alabama’s Jerrell Harris only get a six-game suspension this season for lying during an NCAA investigation, when there were also “impermissible benefits” involved? Wouldn’t that qualify as a precedent?
Don’t get it. But then, I often don’t when it comes to the NCAA.
Lots of talk about the Texas defense this week, and rightfully so.
The Horns are good, No. 1 against the rush good. And we all know how much the running game means to getting OSU’s offense untracked.
But what about the Cowboys’ D? Coming off the best stretch of defense in recent program memory, spanning six quarters, OSU’s defense is clearly improved under first-year defensive coordinator Bill Young.
Improved enough to handle Colt McCoy and the Horns? TBD.
From Baylor and Mizzou to this is a leap in competition. And OSU’s one game against a strong offense, Houston, didn’t end so well, although the defense’s part in that was overplayed with the offense coughing up four turnovers.
Still, there are reasons to believe that a shootout isn’t the only winning scenario for the Cowboys this weekend. Defense could play a part, with a group of solid veterans putting together career-best seasons in the right spots: Andre Sexton, Donald Booker and Pat Lavine at linebacker, Perrish Cox at corner.
Zac Robinson and the offense still must produce, but don’t discount the defense’s impact.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5362Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 3318Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients