Cowboy Hoops Adds Walk-Ons
By John Helsley
The number of available practice bodies had already increased at OSU, with seven newcomers beefing up the roster — a needed boost from a year ago.
Add two more players to the mix, with Travis Ford taking advantage of his walk-on tryout program for the second straight year.
In a near act of desperation a year ago, with his roster depleted, Ford pulled four walk-ons from a workout to help with practice and suit up on game days. One of the four, Edmond Memorial product Garrett Thomas, remains with the squad.
While not as needy this year, Ford still felt adding players could be a benefit to preparation. And with recent injuries to Teeng Akol and Nick Sidorakis, he’s surely pleased to have them.
So, on to the introductions:
From Broken Arrow High and Oklahoma City University, a 6-6 forward… Steven Cantrell!
And from Perkins, a 6-foot guard… Lee Ledford!
Cantrell actually played a bit part in OCU’s national title run in 2008, averaging 1.6 points and 1.4 rebounds for a team that finished 31-7. He appeared in 20 games and started five, before leaving for regular-student status at OSU a year ago. Now he’s back.
Ledford, in his third year at OSU, averaged 15 points and seven rebounds as a prep senior.
Don’t expect to see much of Cantrell or Ledford, unless games get way out of hand. Still, they’re valuable additions to the daily grind of practices. Ford wouldn’t have them around if they didn’t offer something.
And there’s always the possible payoff, a moment in Gallagher-Iba Arena when the student section chants their names.
Or even better, a trip to the NCAA Tournament and memories of March Madness.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17700Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13947Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11336Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10871'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10364Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10094Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6825OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6766Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6423Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6208Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients