Not a Cowboy (or Cowgirl) was stirring…
By John Helsley
Twas the night before … hold it. Won’t do that to you.
It’s been awfully quiet on the OSU sports front, with Cowboys and Cowgirls focused on finals.
No games. No news. None of the essential buzz we all crave.
Ah, but things are about to stir soon, real soon.
Inside Boone Pickens Stadium, Cotton Bowl prep begins this weekend. Will be interesting to see who’s available (Zac Robinson? Brady Bond?) and who’s in limbo (Donald Booker?).
Expect Robinson and Bond to be ready, sooner or later, and defnitely for the clash with Ole Miss. Booker, however, is another matter with a seriously bum ankle. And that’s a potential major loss for a defense that has ridden his energy and production.
After an eight-day layoff between games, the Cowboys resume their early — and unenthusiastic — schedule at home Sunday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
Folks, we don’t know much about these Cowboys and likely won’t until Big 12 play opens Jan. 9 against surprising Texas Tech, which is off to a 9-0 start with an impressive win over Washington.
Even when the Pokes have been somewhat challenged, it’s been on the road, at the Las Vegas Invitational and in Tulsa.
This is a bad non-conference home schedule. More on that in Sunday’s Oklahoman.
In some ways, it has served the Cowboys well. Travis Ford has been able to get a good, long, low-pressure look at his cast of newcomers, some of whom are being counted on heavily. Guys like Ray Penn and Fred Gulley and Roger Franklin and Matt Pilgrim.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16829OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15402Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12656Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11727Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9454Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7777Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7628Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7109Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6861Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6397Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients