By John Helsley
follow me on twitter @jjhelsley
When the Cowboys conduct their second major scrimmage tonight, the ante will be raised in a number of ways.
For one, offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen expects to see real progress from a week ago, when he basically called out his receiving corps in search of reliable backups. It’s time for some guys to shine.
At quarterback, Brandon Weeden’s backup remains in flux, although the real candidates are Johnny Deaton and Clint Chelf, with Nate Sorenson lagging behind with his head swimming in the deep end of the learning pool. Deaton is essentially the guy, but Holgorsen is challenging him to prove it.
Line coach Joe Wickline will be watching his guys closely, too. Wick loves competition, which is why he doesn’t like to announce starters until the last minute. And with so many youngsters pushing for playing time, he’ll keep with his policy to get the best out of the most for as long as possible.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4097OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4009Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 3995Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients