Eight isn’t Enough, it’s Essential
By John Helsley
follow me on twitter @jjhelsley
Dana Holgorsen has made clear his search for reliable wide receivers to make his spread special.
Operating with four wideouts at a time most of the time, Holgorsen’s push centers on a need for eight who can play: four starters and four backups. Coming up fast on game week, Holgorsen has identified his eight, with a surprise or two.
The starters: Justin Blackmon and Isaiah Anderson outside, Tracy Moore and Josh Cooper inside.
The backups: Bo Bowling and Colton Chelf outside, Justin Horton and Michael Harrison inside.
What, no Hubert Anyiam? Not yet. Anyiam’s continued comeback from foot surgery leaves him operating somewhere around 75 percent. And for Holgorsen, that’s not good enough, leaving Anyiam on the third team, joining freshmen Kevin Johnson and Chris Dinkins as part of the next wave.
“If we have a Hubert Anyiam or one of the two young kids, Kevin Johnson and Chris Dinkins, if one of those guys get to a point that they can crack the two deep, then we’ll rep them,” Holgorsen said. “But we’re not going to waste time repping those guys while Weeden’s out there.”
Holgorsen seems solid, if not completely sold on his crew of receivers. And for good reason. They’re unproven in this style of offense, even the guys like Blackmon and Moore and Cooper and Anyiam, who played a year ago.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients