OSU 41, Troy 38: Thoughts and observations
–Bottom line: It was a win. This game had the feel of the type of game OSU would have let get away in the past but they didn’t, so give the Cowboys credit for that.
–If you turn the ball over it is tough to win. Also, water is wet.
–12 penalties for 139 yards? That’s almost what I would have expected last week with so many young players on the field. Penalties cancelled a Kendall Hunter kick return for a touchdown, a Justin Gilbert interception
–In looking at the numbers, I don’t really think OSU played that bad on either side of the ball. They just made a ton of mistakes: Penalties, turnovers, poor decision making, etc… but they moved the ball on offense and played good defense, especially in the second half.
–The defense had every right to be annoyed, yet they just kept going back out there and making plays. OSU turned it over five times, the Cowboys defense forced four turnovers.
–Troy scored 24 of their 38 points in the second quarter. In that quarter the Trojans average starting position was OSU’s 45-yard line. That speaks to how well the defense played despite the 38 points Troy scored.
–Brandon Weeden had solid numbers 29 of 39 for 348 passing yards and two touchdowns. He also had three fumbles (two lost) and two interceptions. One interception was tipped, the other was a poor decision (or at least that’s what it looked like to me). The fumbles stemmed from Weeden being caught off guard by a couple blitzes. Those are the type of plays he will see on film and learn from. Like Dana Holgorsen always says “He just needs reps, he took a five-year vacation (from football)” Better to get those mistakes out of the way now before Big 12 play.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 40139Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13141Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12793New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 9982UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 8099Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 7523Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7421Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 6832Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6583Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5521Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients