What about Weeden?
Cameron Newton. Kellen Moore. Andrew Luck. Andy Dalton.
What do those names have in common? They all are listed on “Heisman watch” lists… and they all trail Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden in total offense, passing yards per game and total passing yards.
Yet, Weeden’s name rarely earns a mention in the Heisman conversation. Why? Because he’s playing in Dana Holgorsen’s offense, so those numbers are expected?
I’m not saying he’s better than any of the names above, all I’m saying is he at least deserves to be considered.
The only reason you would not agree is because you’re looking at the sheer numbers and haven’t seen him play. If you’ve seen Weeden play, you’ve seen his uncanny accuracy, you’ve seen him make throws that few quarterbacks can make and you’ve seen him operate and lead like an elite quarterback.
But don’t take my word for it, Texas coach Mack Brown has seen him play and came away with these words: “Weeden was unbelievable. He made some throws tonight that very few college quarterbacks can make. He made throws on outs across the field. The deep throw to [Justin] Blackmon was perfect for the unbelievable touchdown,” Brown said following Texas’ 33-16 loss to OSU.
I asked Weeden if he felt like he deserved some Heisman love for his exploits and his response showed he can excel off the field just as much as he does between the white lines.
“That would be cool, but I can’t really dictate it,” he said. “Obviously you want as much love as you can get but I can’t dictate that.”
He can’t dictate it but his play speaks for itself. If you don’t believe he deserves consideration for any, and every, honor a college quarterback can receive, just watch him play one game.
He may change your mind.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5124Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5057Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4620UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients