A week off will do the Pokes some good
Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy seemed in good spirits during his final Sunday teleconference of the regular season. The conversation also revealed just how beat up the Pokes would have been had they advanced to the Big 12 Championship game.
Gundy said receiver Justin Blackmon would have been unlikely to play with his ankle injury and quarterback Brandon Weeden would have been limited with his ankle injury. Gundy then stated his squad should be back to near 100 percent after two weeks.
“We’ll get Nick Martinez back in two or three weeks, Blackmon has swelling but he’ll be fine in 10 days or whatever, Weeden has a 5, 6, 7 day lateral ankle sprain,” Gundy said. “We’ll be a healthy football team in two weeks.”
Blackmon’s toughness and the understanding he could do no further damage allowed the sophomore to play. Gundy said he would not have played Blackmon if he could have injured himself even further.
“We took into consideration if there was any type of future endangerment to him and there was none,” Gundy said. “Or else I wouldn’t have let him on the field.”
OSU’s players will have the week off with the opportunity to be normal college students for the next seven days, no practice, no lifting, just class and studying as they will get a chance to recover from the physical toll of a Big 12 schedule.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients