OU 47, OSU 41: Thoughts and observations
—This ^^^^ says it all for OSU fans
—The Cowboys had their opportunities to win the game, they just didn’t capitalize. The defense had two seperate chances to get a stop and hand the ball back to the offense with a two-point deficit. And the offense got the ball with a change to drive for a game-winning touchdown and turned it over.
—You have to give Brent Venables a lot of credit. Great gameplan, well executed.
—Brodrick Brown’s tip to Shaun Lewis may be the best play I’ve ever seen. Simply outstanding.
—The Sooners defensive line was better than advertised. They got consistent pressure on Brandon Weeden and took advantage of their opportunites to make big plays. Austin Box’s interception was a perfect example, a great diving catch by a linebacker.
–It’s not like OU’s offense was significantly better than OSU’s. They just ran 41 more plays. OU averaged 5.5 yards per play, OSU averaged 5.7 yards per play.
—I felt like Kendall Hunter and the rest of the Pokes running game needed to get more involved. 23 rushes for 122 yards. I thought Jeremy Smith in particular ran really well. Hunter, Smith and Randle each averaged at least 4.2 yards per carry.
—Speaking of playing well: Shaun Lewis. Big time players show up in big games. 12 tackles including one tackle for loss and two interceptions including one for a touchdown. He is going to be something special.
—You can’t allow 16 of 27 conversions on third down. You will not win games doing that, it’s just that simple.
—The Pokes run defense was solid. OU had 45 carries for 120 yards (2.7 yards per carry).
—OU simply brought more pressure than OSU had seen all season. The Sooners’ defense was fast, athletic and quick to the ball. It seemed like their speed caught OSU’s offense, particularly Weeden, off guard early in the game.
—Justin Blackmon was clearly not 100 percent but he still produced 8 catches for 105 yards and one touchdown. I’m not sure if he was 100 percent much would have changed. OU did a great job with their coverages on Blackmon combined with the pressure on Weeden.
—Josh Cooper is a really good, and overlooked, playmaker on the offense. 10 catches for 84 yards and one touchdown.
—Kevin Wilson did a great job for OU. I can think of two play calls that directly led to touchdowns. (Millard’s TD run and Hanna’s TD catch). On Millard’s run, Orie Lemon moved out of the middle due to motion out of the backfield and on Hanna’s TD, OU caught OSU’s safeties peaking at the run and they paid for it.
—I expected Joe Randle to get more involved but he never could get the screen game going tonight.
—Justin Gilbert’s roughing the kicker penalty was a killer… but it was good to see him come back and make a big-time play with his kickoff return late in the game. BTW, as fast as the Sooners are, they weren’t going to catch him.
—Another great game for Orie Lemon. 12 tackles in his final game at BPS.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7436Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6757Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6289UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients