OSU Hoops: What Now?
By John Helsley
follow on Twitter @jjhelsley
The Cowboys have lost four straight and by all accounts dropped from NCAA Tournament consideration, confirming the disappointment that has surrounded the program for much of the past two months.
So, what now for OSU, with three regular season games and the Big 12 Tournament remaining?
Five things to watch as the Cowboys finish their stretch run:
1. Recruiting. Travis Ford and his staff are hardly satisfied with how this season has played out. They never expected to contend for a Big 12 title, but they did count on making a strong play for inclusion on the NCAA dance card. Instead, the team has frustrated Ford from the get-go with its inconsistencies and lack of basketball IQ. Ford isn’t sitting still. Incoming super-recruit LeBryan Nash will infuse the team with an elite talent and Ford is looking for more, especially after cutting ties with former commitment Karron Johnson. The Cowboys are looking for a point guard, a shooting guard and help in the post. A new name to the point guard mix: Jeremy Jones, a Juco prospect at Seward Junior College. Academic issues hurt Jones out of high school, but he’s fast becoming a hot target. Along with the Cowboys, Jones is drawing interest from OU, Kansas State, Arizona State, Indiana, North Carolina, Arkansas and others.
2. Personnel Push. We’ve already seen Reger Dowell make a play for a more prominent role with two strong games back-to-back. Now’s the time for that, with Ford watching to see who’s serious about helping the team going forward. He’ll likely get Jarred Shaw and Roger Franklin more playing time, as both will be needed next year.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients