OSU-Washington State: Five Keys
By John Helsley
follow on Twitter @jjhelsley
Oh, boy, another road challenge for the Cowboys.
And way out west, at Washington State, reminding of OSU’s botched trip to Gonzaga earlier this season, a hint of what the Cowboys would become in enemy gyms.
This time, however, there are definite carrots dangling out in front.
* A return home to Gallagher-Iba Arena to play Northwestern; not to mention one final fling for OSU’s seniors – Marshall Moses, Matt Pilgrim and Nick Sidorakis – who would relish another Senior Night.
* Extending their NIT run, with that game against Northwestern for a spot in the NIT Final Four in Madison Square Garden. As Matt Pilgrim pointed out, it’s for a ring!
Cowboys coach Travis Ford has wanted this chance, despite OSU’s rocky road record. And he’s not backing off now.
“I think it all goes back to wanting to win, period,” Ford said. “But road games, I’ve always told my teams, are the greatest challenges in all sports. Trying to go onto somebody else’s field or court or whatever it may be is the greatest challenge.
“Any time you go try and win one on the road is rewarding. Obviously, we haven’t done that too well this year.”
Maybe tonight. Late tonight.
If you hoped for a move to the Pac-10 when all that conference flirting was going on, this is a taste of what you’d have for basketball.
Long-distance travel and games past your bedtime, let alone your kid’s bedtime.
How do you like it now?
Can the Cowboys win tonight? Sure.
If they can solve the road.
1. Road Rage. We’ve discussed this for months now – and again above – but the Cowboys are just a different club on the road. Just look at the Bedlam game in Norman. Maybe they gained something from back-to-back good games in the Big 12 Tournament, on a neutral floor, mind you, although Sprint Center sure looked like Allen Field House East. WSU had just 4,213 in the stands for its opening NIT win over Long Beach State, but expects many more with students back on campus from spring break. If OSU can manage what figures to be a pretty rowdy environment, it’s got a chance.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7164Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 7066UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients