Martin has lived up to the hype
One of the main reasons for Oklahoma State’s recent rise has been quality evaluation on the recruiting trail. Running back Kendall Hunter, a two-time All-American, was a hidden gem out of Tyler, Texas and 2010 Biletnikoff Award winner Justin Blackmon was an overlooked prospect out of Plainview High School in Ardmore.
I decided to review recent OSU recruiting classes because it gives you a better feel for where the players you will see making plays on Saturdays this fall came from. And it makes it easier to understand recruiting is a full of unknowns so assuming an elite recruit will become an elite playmaker is fool’s gold, especially once you get past the players who are simply freaks of nature with sheer physical ability which is unmatched.
Here’s a look back at OSU’s recruiting Class of 2008 with a detailed look at each recruit, their ranking when they arrived on campus and their production or potential in the three years since joining the program. (I’ll break the class into several different blogs in the next few days)
Overall class rankings
Rivals ranking: #26
Scout ranking: #40
ESPN.com ranking: unranked. Given a C in overall grades in the Big 12 behind Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri.
Markelle Martin, safety
Rivals ranking: 4 stars
Scout ranking: 3 stars
Other offers: Oklahoma, Kansas State, Texas A&M.
Impact on the program: Martin began his freshman season at cornerback before ended up at safety. He’s become one of the foundations of OSU’s defense heading into his senior year and is among the Big 12’s top defensive backs. One of the best players on the squad and one of the reasons for high expectations this season.
Analysis: A four-star player who has lived up to that billing. He played immediately upon his arrival in Stillwater and emerged as a playmaker as a sophomore. Martin has become a great player who will likely play on Sundays in the near future.
Swanson Miller, defensive tackle
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients