Why Dana Holgorsen left out Mike Gundy
Maybe it was just an oversight, but see if you notice anyone missing from Dana Holgorsen’s comments yesterday.
Holgorsen was presenting at the Angelo Football Clinic in San Angelo, Texas. After 18 years as an assistant coach, he’s now West Virginia’s head coach. His promotion from head coach in waiting was hastened last week by Bill Stewart’s messy firing.
“I thought it might be another six months from now, but we sped the game up, and here we are,” Holgorsen told the San Angelo Standard-Times . “I’m pretty fired up about it. I’ve worked for some pretty good guys, Mike Leach (at Texas Tech) and Kevin Sumlin (at Houston). Those guys do a pretty good job. They won a lot of games, so I feel pretty good about it.”
He’s worked for some pretty good guys? Leach and Sumlin and …..
Whether it was Mike Gundy or Boone Pickens’ idea to bringing him to Oklahoma State, its clear that Holgorsen’s work in Stillwater (from No. 61 to No. 1 in the nation with 537.6 yards per game) catapulted him into position to become a head coach at a BCS school like West Virginia. Sure, WVU AD Oliver Luck’s Houston connection with Holgorsen didn’t hurt. But why would Holgorsen fail to include Oklahoma State’s head coach among the pretty good guys he’s worked for?
I’m not sure what Holgorsen was saying here, but it sure seems like he’s saying something.
Here’s Standard-Times reporter Paul Harris’ story: “Offensive master shares wisdom”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients