Sharp has proven to be special
One of the main reasons for Oklahoma State’s recent rise has been quality evaluation on the recruiting trail. Running back Kendall Hunter, a two-time All-American, was a hidden gem out of Tyler, Texas and 2010 Biletnikoff Award winner Justin Blackmon was an overlooked prospect out of Plainview High School in Ardmore.
I decided to review recent OSU recruiting classes because it gives you a better feel for where the players you will see making plays on Saturdays this fall came from. And it makes it easier to understand recruiting is a full of unknowns so assuming an elite recruit will become an elite playmaker is fool’s gold, especially once you get past the players who are simply freaks of nature with sheer physical ability which is unmatched.
Here’s a look back at OSU’s recruiting Class of 2008 with a detailed look at each recruit, their ranking when they arrived on campus and their production or potential in the three years since joining the program.
Overall class rankings
Rivals ranking: #26
Scout ranking: #40
ESPN.com ranking: unranked. Given a C in overall grades in the Big 12 behind Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri.
Jamal Mosley, tight end
Rivals ranking: 2 stars
Scout ranking: 3 stars
Other offers: Tennessee, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Southern Miss.
Impact on the program: Mosley was slated to replace NFL first round pick Brandon Pettigrew at tight end before off-the-field troubles derailed his time in Stillwater. He’s no longer a member of the program.
Analysis: A talented player who let off-the-field actions end his time at OSU, thus he looked like a gem early on but ended up being a risk not worth taking.
Nigel Nicholas, defensive tackle
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11884OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10282Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7018Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5955Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5764Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4633Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4517Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4488Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4461OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3863As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients