Chatting with Pat Jones
I called Pat Jones last night for the story I wrote about Mike Gundy’s decision for the second year in a row to not have any full-on scrimmaging before the season-opener. Gundy made a joke during the press conference that his former coach wouldn’t be too happy about it, so I decided to get Jones’ thoughts. I included one quote from Jones in the story, but here’s a little bit more of what he said:
“That’s a universal discussion for everybody. It feels like we have this discussion with some of these guys every year. I’m not saying there’s a right and a wrong, because I think there’s different situations. Personal experience has been, and we did it both collegiately and in the NFL…we were gonna hit.”
“(OSU’s) practices are up-tempo and they’re pretty physical, they just didn’t have a whole lot of scrimmaging. They’re still pretty physical about what they’re doing. Somebody doesn’t need to think that they’re not being physical, because they are. It’s just a matter of how physical.”One of the most important, yet sometimes very challenging, parts of walking into a brand new beat assignment is building relationships with sources right away. You’re not usually going to share your life story or your complete thoughts on every issue with someone you barely know, whether it’s a reporter or someone you meet on the street. It’s all about gaining trust and showing people they can be comfortable opening up to you.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17776Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 14796Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11428Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11084'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10542Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9183Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 8337OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6864Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6373Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5941Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients