Travis Ford Balancing Tough Love
follow on Twitter @jjhelsley
Travis Ford, still clearly agitated by Saturday’s lopsided loss at Baylor, reiterated his stance Monday that he doesn’t believe in brushing off such performances as simply a bad day at the office.
Ford said the Cowboys shouldn’t forget, but rather remind themselves of how bad that 106-65 beating felt and tasted, using the stat sheet as a reference, perhaps taped prominently in their lockers as “a challenge and fuel.”
And he said that extends to him, too.
“I got it home on my mirror,” Ford said. “I put it right where I brush my teeth.”
School was out at OSU on Monday, in recognition of the MLK holiday, but it was no off day for the Cowboys. They practiced – twice – and spent extra time reviewing the video.
Ford called it a “spirited film session.”
Clarifying later, Ford said he raised his voice frequently, “something I haven’t done a whole lot with this group.”
Freshman forward Michael Cobbins confirmed: “It was pretty intense. Film doesn’t lie, I can tell you that. A lot of mistakes made from everybody on the team.”
The fourth-year coach is treading carefully with what remains of this team – five freshmen among an eight-man rotation – trying to balance encouragement and hard-edged teaching techniques with such a young squad.
He doesn’t want to squash their confidence, yet must push and press them to make progress. There are no shortcuts.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7342Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6304Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6142UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients