OSU-Iowa State: Five Things
By John Helsley
follow on Twitter @jjhelsley
OSU’s Big 12 road slump has reached 12 games.
The last time they won in a conference locale: Feb. 17, 2010.
At Iowa State, where the Cowboys will be tonight. Tipoff 8 p.m.
Obi Muonelo went off for 31 points (23 in the second half and 21 straight at one key point) that frigid night in Ames – I was there, freezing on the long walk back to the rental car. And boy, couldn’t the Cowboys use Obi now, lugging this losing steak into Hilton Coliseum tonight?
Still, Ames represents a return to the scene of better times, at least for Keiton Page, the only current Cowboy who was there that night.
“A good place to start back up,” Page said the other day.
Five things worth watching tonight:
1. White(Out). No, blizzard conditions aren’t expected. But warnings have been issued about ISU’s Royce White, a Minnesota transfer who has bolstered the Cyclones, leading the team in scoring (13.4), rebounding (9.6) and assists (4.3) per game. The biggest problem comes with the matchup, as White, at 6-8, 270 pounds, will frequently bring the ball up the floor. And he’s more than capable, reminding Travis Ford of one of his old Kentucky teammates, Jamal Mashburn.
“Maybe not as good a shooter as Jamal Mashburn, he handled the ball like a guard,” Ford said. “Jamal brought the ball up as much as I did when I played. Royce White is going to bring the ball up as much as anybody on their basketball team. His ballhandling skills are as good as any of the point guards I’ve seen in the league. He understands angles, understands drawing contact. He’s a very, very impressive basketball player. And he makes everyone else around him better.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7196Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6116Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6096Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients