Once rivals, Daytawion Lowe and Shamiel Gary could start together at safety in 2012
Daytawion Lowe and Shamiel Gary used to be fierce rivals in high school, with Lowe playing for Carl Albert and Gary playing for Tulsa Washington.
“When we were both sophomores, I hit him when he came down to play at Carl Albert,” Lowe said with a smile. “And our senior year, I caught a little jail-break screen, and he hit me. So we got a little history. We talk a little noise. That’s fun. It’s all in friendly competition.”
In 2012, Lowe and Gary could be starting alongside each other at safety for Oklahoma State.
Gary is one of three Cowboys vying for the starting spot at strong safety this spring after transferring to OSU from Wyoming in 2011. He sat out and redshirted last fall to satisfy those NCAA transfer rules and will have two more years of eligibility.
Lavocheya Cooper and Zack Craig are the others in contention to start at strong safety, the position vacated by Markelle Martin. Lowe is the projected starter at free safety after leading the Cowboys with 97 tackles last season.
Gary was a Freshman All-American at Wyoming after tallying 98 tackles (2.5 for loss), three interceptions (all in one game against Weber State) and six pass break-ups. His sophomore season, he totaled 94 tackles (one for loss), one interception and five pass break-ups.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients