Bedlam Baseball: Easy Does It
By John Helsley
follow on Twitter @jjhelsley
Cowboys coach Frank Anderson watched the stadium radar reading reach triple digits Tuesday night and marveled at Oklahoma’s Damien Magnifico.
“And that deal is about three miles an hour slow,” Anderson said of the Reynolds Stadium device. “That kid’s got a great arm. I mean, that’s a big-time, major league arm right there. You might not ever see a kid hit three digits on that thing again.
“The only time I’ve seen it here before was off our pitching machine.”
Anderson, a long-time pitching coach at Texas Tech and Texasbefore taking the head coaching job at OSU, said he’s never had a pitcher who could dial up 100 mph.
“AtTexas, I had Beau Hale,”Andersonsaid. “He threw 98 and 99 a bunch and was the 14th pick in the first round.
“He didn’t throw any like those.”
Meanwhile,Anderson’s pitcher, Kyle Ottoson marveled just the same on the opposite end of the spectrum. A finesse pitcher, Ottoson didn’t have a single pitch reach 90 and many of his offerings revealed 70s readings, even a few in the 60s.
“He didn’t go out there and throw,” said Cowboys catcher Jared Womack, “he had an idea on the mound. He went out there and located all his pitches. He made big pitches when we needed them.”
And he baffled the Sooners, much to their disgust, as the Cowboys won 6-1 in the non-conference game of the Bedlam series.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13578Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10346Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8794Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7680Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5623Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5418Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5016Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4897Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4295Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients