Cowboys Nearing Desperation Point
By John Helsley
Follow on Twitter @jjhelsley
The Cowboys found themselves scrambling for footing following Thursday night’s loss to Texas A&M in extra innings.
This one hurt.
A 2-0 lead in the ninth. Andrew Heaney dealing on the mound.
Even Aggies coach Rob Childress had trouble envisioning a happy ending.
“I thought we’d all be out of here before the sun went down, the way it was going,” Childress said.
Then all of a sudden, the Aggies tied it. And the teams played into the night, before A&M won it 5-2 with a three-run homer in the 13th.
The Cowboys simply don’t lose with Heaney holding a lead in the ninth.
“He pitched great,” said OSU third baseman Mark Ginther. “It’s his job to keep us in the game and give us a chance. And he did that. He did a great job.
“It’s a tough one to lose.”
Tougher still considering OSU’s precarious position in making the postseason. The sense is, even inside the program, that the Pokes needed to win some games this weekend and get the push that beating a top-10 team like the Aggies provides. And their best shot seemed to come with Heaney dealing like he did for 8 1/3 innings Thursday, before the pitching edge in the series shifted to A&M.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients