Oklahoma State gray jersey to sport black numbers in 2012
The gray jerseys Oklahoma State wore for its 2011 season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette created a lot of buzz and controversy, one of the biggest complaints being that the orange numbers were tough to read from the stands (and press box).
But Nike and the Cowboys have tried to fix that issue, switching the color of the numbers on the 2012 version of the gray jersey to black with orange trim.
I spotted the change while in the football offices Friday for OSU’s Football 101 for Women clinic and snapped a photo with my phone. The jersey was on one of several mannequins demonstrating OSU’s wide range of uniform combinations.
OSU equipment manager Wes Edwards told me Friday that since all the uniforms were brand new last season, no one completely realized that the orange numbers on the gray jersey would be so difficult to read from high up. OSU offensive coordinator Todd Monken also mentioned Friday that he knew Boone Pickens was not a fan of the gray jerseys for that very reason. It would not shock me if the mega-booster had something to do with the change.
Now, the gray jersey’s overall place in OSU’s repertoire of uniform options is a whole different debate. The only time the Cowboys wore them last season was for that ULL game, while they wore black jerseys four times (Arizona, Kansas, Kansas State, Fiesta Bowl) and orange jerseys twice (Baylor, Oklahoma). Something tells me that wasn’t an accident or coincidence.
But it’s all but guaranteed that OSU will wear the gray sometime in 2012. At least we all should be able to tell who made the catch or tackle this time.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4167Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3427Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3248Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients