Big 12 assistant coordinator of officials says he’s ‘very comfortable’ with call on Quinn Sharp’s miss at Iowa State
Part of Oklahoma State’s Football 101 for Women clinic on Friday was a presentation from David Warden, the Big 12’s Assistant Coordinator of Football Officials. He came decked in referee gear and with a flag in hand. He used video footage to demonstrate each official’s responsibility on the field and explained some of college football’s new rules for 2012.
During a Q&A following his presentation, Quinn Sharp’s missed field goal at the end of regulation against Iowa State — a game OSU eventually lost in double overtime — came up.
Warden happened to be in the replay booth during that game and expressed confidence the right call was made on that kick. He explained a field goal can only be reviewed if the ball is lower than the upright. Sharp’s kick was not—it went straight over the top. And he emphasized that the entire ball needs to be inside the upright in order for a kick to be good.
“I’m very comfortable the back judge made the correct judgment,” Warden said.
Not exactly what a room full of Cowboy fans wanted to hear. But it offered some clarity on the rules, why the kick was no good and why it was called on the field the way that it was without a review.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20548Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16464Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11845Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11178Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9890Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9771Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9386OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5427Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 5123Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4825Student shot dead during botched home invasion
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients