Summer Work A Bonus For OSU Hoops
All the buzz around campus focuses on the reigning Big 12 champs and their renewed practice efforts to go back-to-back.
Still, there’s some buzz (maybe not the best choice of descriptors) surrounding the basketball team, too. Travis Ford’s crew is heading for,Spain, where they’ll take a 10-day tour that includes four games against international competition.
Not on the trip: Philip Jurick, who was arrested over the weekend and later charged with two drug-related misdemeanors. Ford has suspended Jurick indefinitely and his future with the team is up in the air.
Jurick wouldn’t have played in Spain, as he continues to recover from a torn Achilles tendon that ended his 2011-12 season.
OSU plays two games in Sabadell, a suburb of Barcelona, before traveling to the Canary Islands for two more games.
For a young team like the Cowboys, the foreign exhibition tour is a huge bonus, not just in a chance to get in some early games, but also the 10 extra practices allowed by the NCAA to prepare for such trips.
“We’ve been able to install a lot of things,” Ford said. “The new players are learning all the terminology we use. We’ve put in as many drills in these 10 days as we would during the first two weeks in October.
“We’ve got a lot of the system in already, so when October gets here, we’ll be way ahead.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4093As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3907Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3578OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients