Brandon Weeden QB draw could have been called during Bedlam game
Oklahoma State coaches used the bye week before last season’s Bedlam beat down to design a defensive game plan that blitzed like crazy and an offensive plan that utilized the Cowboys’ running game.
Turns out that’s also when the “Weed Whacker” — or the Brandon Weeden quarterback draw used in the Fiesta Bowl — was first installed.
“We didn’t need it,” coach Mike Gundy said in a Q&A session during OSU’s Football 101 for Women event, a statement that was met by huge applause from the 300-plus ladies in attendance.
So instead the Cowboys held onto that play for the Fiesta Bowl and shocked just about everyone in the building with the call that tied the game at 21 late in the first half. Remember when the TV cameras caught the reaction of Weeden’s wife, Melanie? Priceless.
Gundy also mentioned, however, that the defensive matchup for that particular play was not good. I watched it for the first time in months this morning, and he’s right.
Stanford linebackers Jarek Lancaster and Chase Thomas and safety Michael Thomas all blitzed, and Thomas got into the backfield untouched off the right side. But Weeden ran to his left, dodged linemen David Perry and Ben Gardner and dove into the end zone, where Lancaster, cornerback Harold Bernard and linebacker Trent Murphy could not stop him.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11235Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 11138Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5575Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5081Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4332OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4278Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4021How to help tornado victims
- 3839Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 3543Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 3013Name of missing Kingfisher teen released
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients