Spanning the Big 12: Five questions with Fort Worth Star-Telegram beat writer Stefan Stevenson
Continuing our series checking in with the beat writers who cover Oklahoma State’s conference opponents as we march closer to the start of football season.
TCU with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s Stefan Stevenson.
Here’s our exchange:
Gina Mizell: What’s the vibe around Fort Worth, now that we’re days away from TCU really becoming a member of the Big 12? Can TCU challenge for the Big 12 title in Year 1? What are the biggest keys to being in contention come November?
Stefan Stevenson: It’s certainly possible, but everything would have to go perfect for TCU. Meaning no significant injuries, young players filling big holes with little experience, and the brakes from week to week will have to fall the Frogs’ way. Having said that, another reason why TCU could contend in 2012 is the league’s apparent parity. Oklahoma has issues and they’re the consensus favorite. West Virginia could be overrated. Texas could still be a year away from really turning it around. So nothing would shock me. I think it’s going to be a jumbled standings mess in November. The biggest keys for TCU besides staying healthy are the play of QB Casey Pachall. If he improves on his outstanding 2011 season, the offense could be deadly. The offensive line has depth issues but it may be less of a liability than I once thought. Defensively TCU should be better but the linebacker spot is very thin and the Frogs will have to rely on a slew of young players to start along with senior Kenny Cain.
GM: Give me the rundown on Casey Pachall. Obviously, a talented quarerback. Obviously, a bit of a different cat with the tattoos and the mohawk. But where does he rank in this group of Big 12 signal-callers? And for someone who has never seen him play in person, what makes him effective?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17776Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 14796Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11428Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11084'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10542Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9183Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 8337OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6864Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6373Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5941Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients