Alex Elkins’ favorite teammate to watch? Shaun Lewis
I wrote about Oklahoma State’s linebackers for today’s paper–a deep group that returns all three starters and several young backups with plenty of speed, athleticism and potential.
One of those starters back is, of course, Alex Elkins. But you could also put him in the “potential” category, because of his inexperience with football.
Who did he most learn from in his first season at OSU? His mate on the outside, Shaun Lewis.
“I heard about Shaun Lewis before I got here—the freshman sensation, the All-American freshman,” Elkins said. “I guess I watched him on film a lot when I was supposed to be watching my position, just to see what his habits were and what made him so great.
“He’s just a very special player and I really enjoyed watching him play. I still do it sometimes, but I don’t like to tell him, because we try not to do that to each other. We try to keep each other humble.”
Linebackers coach Glenn Spencer talked last week about how the talent of a young backup like Ryan Simmons has made starter Caleb Lavey better. Elkins said that’s the case for the whole group.
“They’re monsters on the field,” Elkins said. “Playing around those guys really hypes me up. Being able to be around guys with such talent–Caleb Lavey, Ryan Simmons, Shaun Lewis, of course–just being able to play around those guys has helped elevate my level, and hopefully I do the same for them.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81417Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31213Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 29647Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8211Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7508Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7403Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7284Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 7178Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
- 6931Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients