In his own words: Glenn Spencer to reunite with two former teammates Saturday
Oklahoma State assistant coach Glenn Spencer, who will serve as the Cowboys’ defensive coordinator in Bill Young’s absence Saturday against Savannah State, will reunite with two former college teammates at Boone Pickens Stadium.
SSU head coach Steve Davenport and defensive coordinator Saeed Khalif both played with Spencer at Georgia Tech in the 1980s.
Here’s what Spencer remembers about those days with Davenport and Khalif, in his own words.
Steve was a wide receiver. We had a pretty good team when he came in. Came in and played as a freshman, so he was very talented.
Right after school, he started coaching. Kind of like me, he kind of bounced around the small college ranks and went back into high school ball a little bit. He went to UAB as an assistant before he got the head job (at SSU).
Hey, head jobs are hard to find. I don’t care where they’re at. Nobody’s going to take a chance on bringing in somebody that’s not qualified. Just running around the circles down in the Southeast recruiting for 23 years, Steve’s always had a great name. Got a great personality. Give it time, and he’s going to keep bringing in a lot of talent down there. He’s got a great demeanor about him and I think he’ll be good.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90799Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6362Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6064Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients