Pokes Primer: Oklahoma State vs. Savannah State
The good news? Football is back.
The bad news? Oklahoma State opens against Savannah State in possibly the most lopsided matchup in college football history. At least, that’s what Vegas says.
Either way, here’s your Pokes Primer for Game 1.
Savannah State vs. No. 19 Oklahoma State
6 p.m. at Boone Pickens Stadium
Will OSU cover the spread?
Just how bad will it be?
During ESPN’s College GameDay this morning, Chris Fowler jokingly asked if this game will be “closer than the experts think.” Lee Corso answered, “Yes. Sixty-six (points).”
How many records will be shattered? When does OSU pull its starters? Which third-stringer makes a highlight play? Those are the things I’ll be watching in this dud of a game.
How much will–and when–will the quarterbacks play?
Really, the only intriguing thing about this contest is the debut of true freshman quarterback Wes Lunt.
He’s been sharp in practice. Everyone raves about his maturity and composed demeanor. But things change when the lights come on, there are thousands of fans in the stands and another team (even if it’s bad) is lined up on the other side. Which receiver does he establish an early connection with? How does his body language look? How long do the coaches leave him out there?
Then, there’s J.W. Walsh. It’s a certainty that he will play once Lunt and the starters get pulled. But I asked coach Mike Gundy last week if we’ll see the debut of Walsh’s package, special role in the offense–whatever you want to call it–and he said that’s likely. What types of plays will Walsh run? What formation? What game situation–down, distance, spot on field?
Which newcomers will stand out?
Lunt certainly won’t be the only Cowboy making his debut Saturday night.
As many as five true freshman receivers, as well as junior college transfer Blake Jackson, could play. C.J. Curry, Blake Webb and Austin Hays are locks to see the field. Who already has chemistry with Lunt?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 1406Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 954Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 936Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients