Wes Lunt’s high school coach notices ‘spooky’ similarities between Rochester HS and Oklahoma State
As you’ve probably been able to see from the stories and blogs the past day or so, I had a great chat this week with Derek Leonard, the high school coach of Wes Lunt.
When asking him what makes Lunt ready to start as a true freshman and quarterback the defending Big 12 champs, he pointed to some “spooky” similarities between Oklahoma State and Rochester (Ill.) High.
We already knew this. Lunt was always regarded as the best fit to run OSU’s spread offense, because he ran a similar system in high school. He’s shown an ability to quickly pick up the scheme, and coach Mike Gundy said last week that OSU has not had to “dumb down” the offense at all for the true freshman.
“Their offense is extremely fast, and we are extremely fast for a high school,” Leonard said. “As soon is the ball is blown dead, we go, ‘Hike.’”
Replacing a great
When Lunt took over as the varsity starter at Rochester, he was replacing Sean Robinson, a dynamic dual-threat QB who Leonard said had more than 30 Division I scholarship offers and ultimately wound up at Purdue. At OSU, Lunt is, of course, replacing the best quarterback in school history and an NFL starter in Brandon Weeden.
“He was so prepared and so ready,” Leonard said about Lunt’s first high school start. “I remember he was nervous. He’ll be nervous (Saturday). But he’s so even-keel and he was confident, though. I don’t think he was worried about replacing Sean, and I don’t think he’s worried about replacing Brandon Weeden.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients