Tailgate Blog: Playing hooky
I can now see why a lot of OSU fans do not like Thursday night games. Compared to Saturday’s season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette, the tailgate scene was severely lacking today.
But put these folks on the Thursday night game bandwagon.
Meet Mike and Carrie Meyer, David and Mitzi Riggs, Valerie Pogue, Tina Schmidt and Kyle Bruce, who were very excited to show off their brand new grill bought just for today’s game. They’ve been tailgating together for about 10 years.
They all played hooky from work today and settled into their tailgate spot on Hall of Fame near the northwest corner of Boone Pickens Stadium around noon. And they got plenty of use out of their new grill, as onion burgers (what has become their Thursday night tradition) were on the menu for lunch and brats were going to be cooked later for dinner. Using the grill twice in one day? Awesome.
I was also a big fan of the OSU tent.
And the Cowboy-themed dessert table.
Yes, I ate one of these cookies. It was delicious.
Here were the questions on their minds heading into today’s game:
1. What are the Cowboys going to wear?
They guessed black, and it appears they’re right. OSU is currently out for warm-ups sporting black tops, black pants and a white helmet. Upholding the Thursday night tradition.
2. Can the OSU defense shut down UA quarterback Nick Foles?
Foles certainly presents a huge challenge to the OSU defense, but he tossed three interceptions against the Cowboys in the Alamo Bowl, one that Markelle Martin returned 62 yards for a touchdown. Foles himself admits that game was one of the worst of his career, so he’ll absolutely be looking for redemption tonight. But it will be tougher without star receiver Juron Criner, who will not play due to illness.
3. Will the Cowboy offense rack up more than 666 yards?
That’s a stretch. I mean, Saturday’s performance was the ninth-best offensive output in program history. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see them gain more than 500 yards tonight. Actually, that would never surprise me this season.
4. How long will Justin Blackmon’s longest reception be?
Well, the last time Blackmon faced the Wildcats, he got loose for a 71-yard touchdown and took a long road to the end zone so he could celebrate. The UA players certainly haven’t forgotten that, but I don’t think it matters much. Blackmon will get back in the end zone tonight after not scoring a touchdown on Saturday, and I expect he’ll have a reception for more than 50 yards.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients