Tailgate Blog: The Tulsa Food Guy
I got a tweet earlier this week from a fellow who called himself the “Tulsa Food Guy” telling me that if I came to his OSU tailgate on Saturday that he would fix me whatever I wanted. His avatar was a cartoon of a dude with a goatee who was wearing big sunglasses and holding a piece of chicken in one hand and a cold one in the other.
Obviously, I was intrigued.
The TFG tailgate was in a car lot owned by Jim Gill, a former OSU wrestler in the 1980s. He told me a couple stories about occasionally running into Barry Sanders on campus and how Sanders was just as unassuming and humble in person as he was on the field. Not that any OSU fan would be surprised to hear that.
This is the poster that greeted me when I pulled into Gill’s lot.
And this is the TFG in the flesh. His real name is Tyson Caldwell.
Caldwell is an OSU grad who moved to back to Oklahoma (Broken Arrow, specifically) from Los Angeles in 2007. When he arrived, he started his site, http://www.tulsafoodguy.com/blog/ , where he finds and reviews the best local food joints to in the Tulsa area. His specialization? Manly food. Also known as food perfect for tailgating.
What’s on the menu:
Brats, hot links and polish sausage. I had a brat. Very tasty and good flavor.
Wings, wings and more wings. These were still cookin’ when I had to check out and come to the stadium. Bummer.
Much like the group I visited last Thursday, these folks had an OSU-themed canopy. They also had a satellite TV, which sometimes worked and sometimes, well, didn’t. The only real game action I saw during my stay was that Notre Dame was pounding Michigan State early in the fourth quarter.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 34808Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 28627Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6992Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6680OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4639Tornadoes hit Kan., Okla.; no injuries reported
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3855Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3630College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3354Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3230Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients