Pokes Preview: Texas
No. 6 Oklahoma State (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) at No. 22 Texas (4-1, 1-1 Big 12)
2:30 p.m. on ABC
The skinny on Texas
You know it by now. The Longhorns started the season 4-0 and climbed into the top 10, only to be stomped 55-17 by Oklahoma last week in the Red River Rivalry at the Cotton Bowl. Mack Brown hired former Boise State offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin to revamp the Longhorns’ attack, which right now relies on young players at quarterback (Case McCoy, David Ash), running back (Malcolm Brown) and wide receiver (Jaxon Shipley).
Figures to know
13-0: UT’s record in the game after the Red River Rivalry during Mack Brown’s tenure
7-0: Brandon Weeden’s road record as a starting quarterback
OSU player to watch: Joseph Randle
Randle has wowed folks with his versatility and playmaking ability so far this season, but he hasn’t been quite as involved in the OSU offense in the past two games, totaling 28 carries for 106 yards and five catches for 13 yards. Will he get more touches against the Longhorns?
Texas player to watch: Malcolm Brown
The freshman running back still has his best football ahead of him, but based on the way McCoy and Ash got knocked around by the Sooner defense last week, it wouldn’t be a shock to see the Longhorns lean even more on Brown this week, at least early on.
Matchups to watch
OSU passing game vs. UT secondary
Think Weeden and Justin Blackmon watched Landry Jones and Kenny Stills connect on that fade route with huge success? I hear the OSU duo is pretty decent at that play, as well. Hubert Anyiam has also been coming on in recent weeks and could have a big day against those young UT corners.
OSU front seven vs. UT quarterbacks
OU blitzed McCoy and Ash like crazy last week, tallying eight sacks. Will the Cowboys borrow from that blueprint? The OSU secondary has proved it’s solid enough to take those types of risks, but is the front seven talented enough to get that type of consistent pressure on the quarterback?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 9407How to help tornado victims
- 8455Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8294Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients