Why Jerry Palm has Oklahoma State out of the BCS
I had a chat with BCS guru Jerry Palm today to get some expert insight on where OSU really stands in the BCS title picture. He said that the Pokes absolutely control their own destiny and will not get jumped by Stanford or Boise State if all those teams end up undefeated unless the voters suddenly “turn on” the Cowboys.
That’s the good news for OSU.
But if the Cowboys don’t win out and beat Oklahoma, Palm doesn’t think they will make a BCS bowl game. Any BCS bowl game.
Palm, who does the bowl projections for CBS, has had the Cowboys in the Cotton Bowl for the past two weeks. So I asked him for his reasoning behind that.
I expected him to tell me that he thought OSU would slip up against Kansas State or at Texas Tech and ultimately end up with two losses. But he thinks OU will beat OSU to win the Big 12 title and go to the Fiesta Bowl, and that OSU simply won’t get picked as an at-large BCS team for the Orange Bowl or Sugar Bowl.
“If you think about it, where would Oklahoma State play?” Palm said. “There aren’t a whole lot of choices, really, for them as a one-loss team. It has nothing to do with their record or ranking or anything like that. Bowl picks are based on factors beyond that.”
That’s code for that Palm thinks a school like Michigan, Oregon, Boise State or the LSU/Alabama loser—which are his at-large BCS teams right now—would be a more “attractive” pick than OSU. It’s about TV sets and marketing opportunities for these bowls, as well as which teams will bring the most fans.
Boise State, Oregon and the LSU/Alabama loser as BCS at-large teams I absolutely get. But Michigan? I know the Wolverines have one of the most recognizable brands in college football and a huge fan base, but are they a bigger draw than OSU’s high-powered offensive show right now? And wouldn’t droves of orange-clad Cowboy fans make the trip to the first BCS bowl in program history?
Of all the bowl projections I’ve seen in recent weeks, Palm’s is the only one that has OSU completely out of the BCS. But it’s always interesting to get the person in the minority’s take.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17776Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 14796Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11428Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11084'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10542Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9183Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 8337OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6864Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6373Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5941Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients