The case for Oklahoma State in the national title game
You won’t get any lobbying from me. That’s not my job as a reporter.
And, clearly, you won’t get any politicking from Mike Gundy, either. Moving on.
But some media voices around the country have started arguing that OSU, not Alabama, is really the team that deserves to play for the national title if the Cowboys beat No. 10 OU on Saturday night.
Shortly after the latest BCS standings were revealed Sunday night, this piece by Sports Illustrated’s Stewart Mandel started circulating.
Then this graphic flew around the social media world. I had it sent to me multiple times. (Click on the image for a larger view.)
Then this piece was posted by CBS’ Tom Fornelli on Monday, complete with a blind resume comparison and poll at the end for readers to vote on. The team with 80 percent of the vote, as of Wednesday afternoon? OSU.
Then Jay Walker of KPEL Radio in Lafayette, La., said he would vote OSU No. 2 on his Harris poll ballot of the Cowboys beat the Sooners.
And earlier Wednesday, CBS’ Dennis Dodd dedicated multiple Twitter posts to OSU and linked back to Fornelli’s story.
As my colleague Jenni Carlson learned Monday, some voters don’t even think the Cowboys are the third-best team in the nation. And it’s going to take nearly all of them to vote OSU No. 3 or higher in order for the Cowboys to have any shot at passing the Crimson Tide.
Of course, none of this matters if OSU doesn’t win Bedlam. And even then, it still looks like a long shot that the Cowboys will be playing in New Orleans in Jan. 9.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3926How to help tornado victims
- 3623Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3239Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients