Oklahoma State football offices to dedicate wall to walk-ons
I wrote about fifth-string running back Corey Bennett’s SportsCenter moment during Oklahoma State’s dominating 84-0 victory over Savannah State, which helps capture what simply taking the field meant for the no fewer than 19 walk-ons that played for the Cowboys Saturday night.
Because of the high number of non-scholarship players that got in the game, walk-ons continued to be a popular topic during Monday’s media luncheon.
OSU has had some fantastic recent success with players that originally started as walk-ons. Brandon Weeden. Dan Bailey. Bryant Ward. Colton Chelf. Just to name a few.
And coach Mike Gundy said several of those former walk-ons will soon be honored in the football offices.
Several of the walls in the west end zone of Boone Pickens Stadium are currently covered with “FatHeads” (life-size wall graphics) of Cowboys in the NFL. Gundy said the plan is to reduce the size of those by about 50 percent to make room for photos of former OSU walk-ons–to remind current OSU players that not everybody has their school paid for, and that hard work can eventually pay off.
“It’s surprising how many guys we’ve had that have contributed and done it for free,” Gundy said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3632How to help tornado victims
- 3582Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3172Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients