Pokes Preview: Oklahoma State vs. Arizona
No. 18 Oklahoma State (1-0) and Arizona (1-0) are meet for the third time in less than two seasons. Game kicks off at 9:30 p.m. Oklahoma time.
How much will the playbook open for Wes Lunt?
Coach Mike Gundy said a couple weeks ago that OSU has not had to “dumb down” the offensive playbook for true freshman quarterback Wes Lunt. Against Savannah State, Lunt threw one pass down field, a 42-yard connection with Isaiah Anderson. The heavy dose of lateral and short passes largely had to do with the level of competition, but I’m sure coaches also wanted to make things easy on Lunt initially. That will have to change tonight.
Can the defense “contain” Matt Scott?
Scott is a threat as a runner and a thrower in Rich Rodriguez’s spread offense. Ryan Robinson and either Cooper Bassett or Nigel Nicholas are new starters at defensive end, but the Cowboys believe they have greatly improved their depth at defensive tackle. And OSU has lots of speed and athleticism at the outside linebacker spots. As I wrote in my pregame story, trying to slow down Scott and Co. will be a good first test for a defense that is supposedly the best OSU has had during Gundy’s tenure as head coach. Keep in mind that defensive coordinator Bill Young is not on this trip, and Glenn Spencer will again be the acting DC tonight.
How much will Tracy Moore contribute?
It’s hard to believe that Moore, the Cowboys’ top returning receiver, has not caught a pass in OSU’s last two games — because he hasn’t played receiver. Moore was demoted to only special teams duties in the Fiesta Bowl after mouthing off during practice, then suspended against Savannah State after his third minor brush with the law in six months. Does Moore respond with a monster game? Do coaches slowly work him back into the offense? How’s his chemistry with Lunt?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3460Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3276Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3162Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients