Monken Would Prefer Lunt Not Enter The Records Chase
Just two games into his career, Cowboys freshman Wes Lunt has the fourth-best passing game (436 yards) in OSU history and a tie for the school record for attempts (60), all compiled in Saturday’s loss at Arizona.
But offensive coordinator Todd Monken hopes Lunt’s not heading for some trend.
“I hope that doesn’t continue,” Monken said, “that means we’re behind a lot. I don’t see us wanting to throw it that often.
“So I hope that’s not the case. If he breaks a bunch of records, we’re in bad shape.”
The heavy throw total wasn’t at all the game plan, but a necessity when the Cowboys fell behind. At that point, there was no easing Lunt through his first road game.
“We tried not to do that,” Monken said. “We tried to run it, play-action it, keep things fairly simple. But when the game’s in the balance…”
That said, Monken said he isn’t afraid to turn Lunt loose, especially if enemy defenses dictate such an approach.
“The good thing is, his whole high school life he threw it for a living,” Monken said. “It’s not like he’s out of his element just dropping back and throwing.
“And it’s not hard to see he has an unbelievable demeanor and a pocket presence. And he’s very accurate.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22062Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13856Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 11034Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10900UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7641Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7472Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6309Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5621Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5179Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients