The secret to Oklahoma State QB Wes Lunt’s success is…puzzles?
Oklahoma State quarterback Wes Lunt set a Big 12 freshman record with 436 passing yards last week at Arizona. When offensive coordinator Todd Monken was asked what allowed Lunt to be so successful–and why he trusted Lunt to throw 60 passes–he pointed to the things he’s already mentioned several times like Lunt’s accuracy, calm demeanor and rare maturity for an 18-year-old.
But then Monken said it’s also helpful that Lunt likes to figure out puzzles.
“Those are the guys you want, that try to dissect stuff in his mind,” Monken said. “Because he doesn’t say anything. He sits in there and you’re just staring at him like, ‘Are you listening?’ He’s kind of just figuring it all out. And he’s always saying, ‘Yes, sir,’ and I’m cussing at him and he’s still saying, ‘Yes, sir.’
“That’s what we do as coaches, so if you get a guy that’s like that…he’s trying to figure out what they’re doing. He says more things back to me for a young guy that I’ve ever been around. (I ask him) ‘What were you looking at? Why did you go here?’ (He says), ‘Well, the safety moved over here, and you talked about that on Wednesday.’ Wow, that’s pretty good stuff.’”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients