Gundy Won’t Temper Walsh’s Running
With his starting quarterback already out with an injury Saturday, Cowboys coach Mike Gundy watched backup J.W. Walsh absorbing frequent blows against Louisiana-Lafayette.
Walsh not only ran fearlessly into several brutal collisions on scrambles, he took more hits in the pocket, including two that were flagged for personal fouls on the Ragin’ Cajuns.
So, time to temper Walsh’s aggressiveness?
“I think we’re always concerned, but J.W. has to play to his strengths,” Gundy said. “And part of his strength is to run the ball. At times he’ll pull it down and run it, that’s an extra dimension that he gives us. He’s got to continue to work and improve throwing the ball, but that extra aspect is his ability to pull it down and run.”
Still, wouldn’t it be prudent for Walsh to slide and avoid punishment at the end of some of those runs?
“Not right now,” Gundy said. “I like that he’s aggressive. He did it all through high school and did it out here (against ULL). He didn’t even blink twice and they threw some good shots at him.
“I just don’t want to take his stinger away. I want him to play the way he’s played throughout his career. There may be a point where we discuss that, but right now he just needs to play the game.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90293Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14176Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8859Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7859Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7626Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 7605How to help tornado victims
- 6854OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 6186Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5739Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 5547Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients