KU Offered Randle — In The Fourth Grade
Cowboys running back Joseph Randle was a hot prospect coming out of Wichita Southeast High.
So hot, Kansas started scholarship talks when he was still in elementary school.
“I got a scholarship offer from them when I was in the fourth grade,” Randle said Monday, warming up for Saturday’s visit to Lawrence.
The Jayhawks were recruiting Randle’s big brother, John Randle, and would eventually get him. When coaches from KU and other schools made their in-home visits, little brother used the opportunity to put himself on the map.
“I was the happiest one in the house when they came by,” Randle said. “I’d be popping in my highlight tapes. Not my highlight tape, the regular game. I never came off the field. So it was like the whole game was a highlight tape back then.”
The clearly confident Randle wasn’t wooed only by the Jayhawks, who were coached by Mark Mangino at the time.
Randle said Missouri’s Gary Pinkel and Kansas State’s Bill Snyder dangled scholarships, too.
“They all said, ‘We’re going to offer you when you get of age,’” Randle said. “I was like, ‘All right.’
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 5063Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4898Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4189'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients