Hoops: Here We Go
Travis Ford talks excitedly about his fifth Oklahoma State basketball team.
And the excitement clicked up a notch Friday, when practices began officially in Stillwater and across the country.
“I’m excited about the first day of practice, because of the potential of this basketball team,” Ford said. “Potential is a big word, but I like the makeup of this team.”
Despite the disappointment of a losing record a year ago, there’s much for Ford to like about these Cowboys.
Markel Brown, Brian Williams and Michael Cobbins – the Lob Stilly Triplets – return, along with Preseason All-Big 12 pick Le’Bryan Nash. So does Marek Soucek, Jéan-Paul Olukemi and Philip Jurick.
And Marcus Smart headlines a strong cast of newcomers that also includes Phil Forte, Kamari Murphy and Kirby Gardner.
The Cowboys return four of their top five scorers from a year ago, although Keiton Page – now a graduate assistant with the team – carried a heavy load.
“I like that we have some returning players,” Ford said. “Although they are young, they’re returners that got some valuable experience last year. We’re also adding some impact-type players.”
Ford’s not alone in liking his squad. Big 12 coaches apparently do, too, with the Cowboys finishing third in their preseason poll.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4097OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4009Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 3995Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients