Quinn Sharp happy to take hit for team
Oklahoma State kicker/punter Quinn Sharp was named the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week Monday after averaging 53 yards on five punts, connecting on field goals of 49 and 42 yards and booming four touchbacks on five kickoffs against KU.
But he was also at the center of arguably the game’s biggest play — or most boneheaded play, depending on how you look at it — when he drew a roughing the kicker penalty on a punt late in the fourth quarter that gave the Cowboys a first down and all but sealed the victory.
Sharp was more than happy to take the shot for the team.
“The way (KU) lined up, you could tell they were bringing max blitz or max out block,” Sharp said. “I kind of expected it. We handled it really well. We had a great snap. We had a great operation time. Our shield was very firm — they just came on the outside and caught me. We got the penalty and we won the game.
“As soon as it happened, I was like, ‘All right, well, if it’s a 15-yarder and not a 5-yarder, then we’ve got the game. So I’ll take it. It was a good thing. Everybody was joking in the locker room, ‘You got knocked out, but we’ll take it for the penalty.’”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 3548Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3510Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3477How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients