Gundy, players not concerned with all-time wins mark
My beat partner John Helsley wrote a great story about how the dominoes fell the right way to get Mike Gundy back to Oklahoma State as the offensive coordinator, and eventually the head coach. Now, Gundy’s next victory will make him the all-time winningest coach in program history.
How do Gundy’s current players feel about being a part of that milestone?
Good, once they were made aware of it.
Linebacker Alex Elkins said he only first heard about Gundy’s chance to overtake Pat Jones’ 62 career wins when it was brought up to him by a media member on Monday. That’s because Gundy has never addressed the personal accomplishment with the team.
“I would love to be a contributing factor to that, that achievement, that mile mark for him,” Elkins said. “I think that’s great, but up until this point, I did not know (he’s about to break the record). I guess that’s just a little extra motivation for us this week to practice a little harder.
“I’ll have to relay that to my team. I’m sure they probably didn’t know that.”
Gundy certainly doesn’t mind that his players don’t know about it.
“I usually forget about it every couple days myself,” Gundy said. “We’re just trying to find a way to move the ball and score points and stop people. We’ve got other things going on. I’m happy for the team, I’m happy for the school and I’m happy we’re having success.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 82236Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32719Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 31236Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 27663Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24708Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8346Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7879Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 7784Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7479Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7384Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients