Gundy’s Path To Stillwater Took Some Turns
I wrote Wednesday about Mike Gundy’s push to become OSU’s winningest coach. You can read that story here.
Gundy stands tied with Pat Jones, his coach with the Cowboys in the late ’80s, with 62 wins, heading into Saturday’s homecoming contest against Iowa State.
In the story, I pointed out the dominoes that fall to shape any coaching search or hire. For Gundy, it took Dirk Koetter taking the job and leaving it within 24 hours, leading to Les Miles coming in and bringing Gundy with him.
The rest, of course, is history.
Gundy also let us in on a little-known bit of information on his hiring as an assistant at Maryland, where he’d been fired just before rebounding and joining Miles in Stillwater.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3630Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3502How to help tornado victims
- 3466Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients