By the numbers: Offensive numbers stay high
We all know that the numbers don’t tell the whole story (or as Todd Monken would say, “stats are, really, for losers”). But each week, we’ll update where Oklahoma State ranks in the NCAA’s major statistical categories.
After sputtering against Kansas two weeks ago, the Oklahoma State offense found its footing again last week against Iowa State. J.W. Walsh passed for 415 yards, the ninth-best performance in school history, despite playing the majority of the game on a severely injured knee that will now keep him out for the rest of the season. The Cowboys nearly had three receivers — Charlie Moore, Josh Stewart, Blake Jackson — go over 100 yards. Joseph Randle bounced back with more than 150 yards on the ground.
As a result, the Cowboys rank in the top 10 in the nation in virtually every offensive category.
Some other notes:
OSU is slowly climbing out of the cellar in penalties (77th) and penalty yardage (96). Those rankings don’t seem great, but at one point, the Cowboys ranked near the bottom of the nation in those categories, mostly because of the terrible showing at Arizona.
The Cowboys still rank low in turnover stats.
OSU is still very, very low in kickoff coverage. But that stat is a bit misleading, given the few opportunities the opposing team has to even return a kickoff, because of Quinn Sharp’s touchback capability. Still, giving up a touchdown return isn’t good.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients