OSU Hoops: B. Williams Refocuses His Role
Initially, Brian Williams didn’t think his wrist injury was all that bad.
“I figured it was just a sprain at first,” Williams said. “I’ve had quick sharp pains like that before, and it didn’t turn out to be that bad.”
Michael Cobbins knew.
“I’ve experienced something like that before,” Cobbins said with a wince. “Just hearing him yell like that, I knew something bad had happened.”
Cobbins, of course, was right, with his pal Williams suffering a season-ending injury, the result of him bracing the impact of an awkward fall following a dunk.
As I asked Williams what was wrong with his left (non-shooting) wrist, mentioning broken bones and torn ligaments and tendons, he nodded with each one.
“A little bit of everything,” he said.
Williams was set for surgery Wednesday inOklahoma City, where his surgeon would assess the full damage during the procedure. Still, they know it’s bad. And they know the rehab will be long.
Clearly a tough blow for Williams, coming off a strong second half of last season and returning as a starter.
A tough blow, too, for the Cowboys.
“We lost our best defender. Now somebody else is going to have to step up and be the best defender,” said Travis Ford. “Who’s that going to be? We lost probably our most high-energy guy, a guy who never got tired. And a guy who you could count on rebounding above the rim. And a guy I never ran any plays for, but he figured out how to average 12 points a game in conference play.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 73942Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30870Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27865Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 22757Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6762Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6400Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 6313Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6210Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5940Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5466Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients