Pokes Preview: Oklahoma State hosts TCU
Coming off its most complete performance of the season, a 31-10 Homecoming victory over Iowa State, Oklahoma State welcomes Big 12 newcomer to Boone Pickens Stadium Saturday afternoon.
Lunt or Chelf?
Might as well make the quarterback carousel a weekly question. With backup-turned-starter J.W. Walsh out for the season with a knee injury, is starter Wes Lunt ready to return from his knee/ankle injury? Or does redshirt junior Clint Chelf, who began fall camp as the No. 3 quarterback, get the nod? My gut says Lunt returns, but with how unstable the QB position has been this season, nothing would surprise me.
Can Joseph Randle run on TCU’s defense?
The matchup to watch, in my mind. TCU’s rush defense and OSU’s rushing attack both rank in the top 10 in the nation. As they say, something’s got to give. OSU running backs coach Jemal Singleton told me earlier this week that the Cowboys will have to “meet strength with strength” and settle for those methodical 3-, 4- and 5-yard carries in hopes of being able to pop a big one, like that 62-yard run Randle ripped off against ISU.
Which secondary limits the big play?
A much-maligned OSU secondary has been much better the past two weeks, but part of that can likely be attributed to the fact that Kansas and ISU don’t exactly sport the Big 12′s most potent passing offenses. And even against ISU, the Cowboys gave up long passes of 35 and 42 yards (though Brodrick Brown had excellent coverage on the 35-yarder). TCU’s secondary has also given up several big plays this season. Limiting those will be key for both teams in an even matchup.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3938Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3498Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients