OSU Hoops: The Good And Bad Of The Non-Conference
Hoops season fast approaches, with the Cowboys set for their exhibition opener against Ottawa, Kan., Thursday, and the opener against UC Davis coming up Nov. 1.
Optimism for this team is up, with the arrival of McDonald’s All-American guard Marcus Smart – and all the praises surrounding him (read a story I did earlier here) – spiking thoughts of a rise both inside and outside the program.
And the non-conference schedule should aid such a rise, with a fast start.
A year ago, Travis Ford regretted a challenging opening schedule that didn’t allow a young Cowboys squad to gain traction, hampering their development and progress all the way into Big 12 play.
This year, there are fewer potential pitfalls.
In fact, at ESPN.com, Eamonn Brennan lists OSU’s non-conference slate among the nation’s 10 Worst.
Now, Brennan notes that part of that rating is based on the talent the Cowboys have, to not be taking on a more ambitious schedule.
He notes that Gonzaga and South Florida are OSU’s toughest tests, with the Zags also the highlight of the non-con home schedule – New Year’s Eve to boot – as a consensus Top 25 squad.
The Cowboys also play in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, but it’s not a loaded field, with Akron, Massachusetts, UNC Asheville, North Carolina State, PennState, Providence and Tennesseealso in the bracket. OSU opens with Akron.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 3989Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 2759Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients